Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Day Eight- December 13th

The best things come to those who wait.....

......and that is exactly what we will have to do. She's just not ready to get out yet. She's losing weight every day, not eating with an appetite she needs to have for a pre-term NICU baby her size. She is the sweetest thing in the entire world, but she's just being lazy with feedings. I'd love to give a specific day that we will be out of here, but I've learned over the past several days that it's just not worth it. It crushes our spirit to be told we have to wait longer. Blake had to leave us today to go back to Houston. My mom will be watching the girls now. I am grateful to both of our parents. I'm done being sad about not leaving just yet. So I've decided to focus on some positive things I've learned this week:
We have been surrounded by the best family and friends during this time, and I feel truly lifted up by your prayers and well wishes. Your words of encouragement sustain us.
We are apart of an amazing church that is so ready to jump in and help out when we return (wherever the need may be).
We have incredible NICU nurses and doctors that have truly fallen in love with Rylan and her story. We had a nurse tell us last night that she tossed and turned and was up all night because she was trying to figure out something she could have done differently to make her outcome better. Little sweet ladies come by to deliver knitted hats and blankets for every baby in the NICU. Bows are made for the girls.
The Ronald McDonald House we are staying in is filled with other NICU parents. I am encouaged by their positive attitude and thankful hearts. There are moms doing this week after week (one mom had her baby in October, and won't be leaving until late February). The volunteers are incredibly supportive and always happy.
Volunteers have shown us how much we are prayed for and loved. We have youth groups come in all the time and just sing for us, cook for us, do our chores for the day, etc. One girl (7th grader) left me her "Jesus loves you" bracelet last night as she was walking out the door.
Blake is an amazing man, husband, and man of God. I am blessed to be married to someone that loves me so much. He is the one who continues to remind me that all of this we are going through is small stuff, and how blessed we are to have Rylan. I catch him all the time when he doesn't know I'm watching him just smiling and talking to Rylan (full conversations). Too cute. He has even left the house at midnight because he just wants to go see her one more time before he goes to bed.
I see how God has orchestrated all of this to fit His purpose, and it moves me. My faith has been strengthened this week.
I am convinced Rylan hears me (and loves it) when I read "Goodnight Moon" to her every night. She follows my voice, and responds to funny noises I make. I wouldn't miss these moments for the world. I missed Brooklyn rolling over for the first time yesterday, but I'm okay. There will be many other firsts I will get to share in the years to come.
Although the frustration of being stuck in Lubbock,TX is at its height, this time I am getting to spend with Rylan is irreplaceable. I am blessed.

Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment